Cave diving at the Pawod cave system, a fresh water cave.
The Pawod cave is an inland spring freshwater cave located in Barangay Agus on Mactan island (Cebu region).
From the Scotty's Dive Center, it takes around 15 to 20 minutes by car (depending the traffic) to reach the pool hole of the entrance.
The Pawod cave is also known as the Agus cave because the cave system is located in the Agus Barangay on Mactan island.
The Pawod underwater cave is made of limestones formed by dissolution, this is why the Pawod cave is called a solutional cave.
The spring is at the far end of the cave at around 180 meters (600 feet) from the entrance. The average depth is only around 3 to 10 meters (10 to 35 feet), except for the tube going to the spring which goes down to 18 meters (60 feet).
Locally known as the Pawod Underwater Cave System (PUWCS), the cave is not a big system at all. As a matter of fact, it's quite tiny to be called a "system" as the cave do not have an area bigger than 2000 square meters (21530 square foot / 0.2 hectare), and those numbers might be optimistic.
But it's a nice cave to dive when it's not raining, and it is where a lot of cave divers had their training.
Diving at the Pawod cave system in Mactan.
When it's raining, we discourage you to dive in this cave as the visibility become null (less than a centimer / inch).
On the other hand, when the weather is good, we mean not raining, the visibility can be good to excellent with a distance of more than 20 meters (65 feet).
The entrance might be hard to find as the freshwater in the pool is always charged with silts, but once inside, the visibility is good to excellent.
Because it's a dissolution cave and there is no current, the bed of the cave is covered with a thick layer of silt and sediments.
You should be extremely cautious with your fins to not pull up the sediments, because the visibility can become extremely bad in a matter of seconds.
Our thoughts about diving in the Pawod fresh water cave.
Scotty's Dive Center use this cave for training purposes during a cave course, but it's also a nice cave to dive, and a good place to maintain your training due to the great amount of silt and sediments to care of.
Scuba Diving Pawod Cave Diving Rates
For Cebu, Mactan:
Prices include our regular scheduled diving boats.
On our scuba-diving boats, you should always find:
- O2 tank (oxygen cylinder) and its kit plus a first aid kit
- We always carry a spare dive equipment and a diving gear toolbox
- We do have a communication device in case of emergency
- Towels and dinking water are included
- Total Duration: The detail might not be applicable, please contact us.
- Boat Schedule: The detail might not be applicable, please contact us.
- Price per person: Price or Fare might not be applicable, please contact us.
Optional Boat Rental (for personal schedules)
- Exclusive Boat: Price or Fare might not be applicable, please contact us.
Our yacht for rent The Rainbow Runner
- Maximum of 8 scuba divers, persons
- Yacht for rent, price (without the fuel): Price or Fare might not be applicable, please contact us.